The summer season is gone and now it’s time to warmly welcome the holiday shopping season.
In this blog, I am going to tell you what eCommerce sites should do this holiday shopping season to boost their sale month by month based on previous year holiday shopping trends.
But before starting let me show you why it’s important to make a holiday marketing strategy by going through the following stats.
Columbus Day ( 8 October )
The October month starts with the celebration of Columbus Day which is on 8 October this year ( It is celebrated on the second Monday of October. )
But the Columbus Day was traditionally celebrated on 12 October to celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus’s arrival in America on October 12, 1492.
The Columbus Day is a federal holiday which means the government offices and financial markets remain closed on this day.
It is not widely celebrated in US but it is particularly celebrated in the Northeast. On this day people do church services and other activities.
The game plan for Columbus Day
- Use social media channels and email marketing for the promotion
- Create popups that display the offers you want to provide to your customers
- Create a special sale for Columbus Day
Halloween’s Day (31 October )
Halloween is one of the biggest Holiday in US which was originated in Ireland. Traditionally Halloween was celebrated on 31 October.
On this day young and old people wear scary costumes. People participate in the Halloween themed party, kids take part in the costumes of trick or treat, games and pranks.
There is a simple role for Halloween that is eat, drink and be scary.
( To know more about Halloween refer the blog, Broom on your online sale with spooky tips this Halloweens! )
Refer infographic of Halloween
The game plan for Halloween Day
- Give your website a scary Halloween look and feel
- Prepare and start selling your Halloween deals at least 2-3 weeks before the Halloween Day
- Don’t forget to optimize your website for mobile
- Create enticing and fostering offers to your loyal customers
- Create personalized content on social media on the occasion of Halloween.
What you should do this month as a marketer
The Q4 of 2018 starts from October which indicates that the holiday season has arrived. It’s the time to invest in the asset like social media channels, landing pages, and email marketing.
If you haven’t planned for the October month, it’s still not that late. Start making your holiday marketing campaign for October to engage with more and more potential customers.
Tips- Create your holiday season content 45 days before the start of a holiday sale. Through the blog post, it’s easy to spread brand awareness.
But before discussing the marketing tips for November and December first look at the online shopping behavior of US customers and eCommerce holiday sale in the last year.
Election Day (6 November)
General elections are held in the United States on this date. It is celebrated on the first Tuesday of November in US every year.
In some countries Election Day was held on Sundays and in some countries it is held on weekdays. The government provides a holiday on this to ensure that as many as voters came up for the vote.
435 seats in the United States House of Representatives and 35 of the 100 seats in the United States Senate will be contested this year.
The game plan for Election Day
- If your company work for a politically active brand then you have only 2 weeks to prepare for it.
- The elections of 2018 are one of the most talked topics of the year. Get yourself ready so that you can engage with your target audience.
Veterans Day ( 11 November )
It is a national holiday in US which is annually celebrated on 11 November to honors the people who served in the United States armed forces.
The Veterans Day is celebrated on 11 November because the first world war was ended in the 11th hour on the 11th day and on 11 months in 1918.
The Armistice Day was renamed as Veterans Day in 1954. This day was celebrated to pay tribute to the men and women who risk their lives in order to protect the freedom of the country.
The game plan for Veterans Day
- Provide special offers to the family of Veterans
- Include links of the organizations in your blog post that supports the family of Veterans
- Donate a portion of sales to an organization
- Reward the customers that donate something to the organization you support
Thanksgiving (22 November)
Thanksgiving day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November every year in US. On this day people spend time with family and friends, play a football match, prays and give thanks for all the things they have been blessed with.
It was celebrated by Pilgrims after their first harvest in New World, (present-day North America) in 1621.
Thanksgiving day is nationally celebrated since 1789 after Congress part has requested for a proclamation by George Washington.
It becomes a federal holiday since 1863, when the President of American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving day a national day.
The game plan for Thanksgiving Day
- Target your customers based on the RFM analysis
- Collaborate with other companies to sell your product in the marketplace
- Create buzz on social media channels
- Prepare your content strategy 2 weeks before the start of Thanksgiving Day
- Target an email list of users to whom you want to offer discounts and rewards based on the last year shopping behavior
Tips- Prepare content on Thanksgiving day before one month from the start of Thanksgiving holiday shopping, start planning to advertise in social media channels and make an email list of users to whom you want to offer discounts and rewards.
Black Friday (23 November)
The day after Thanksgiving Day is known as Black Friday. This year Black Friday is on 23 November 2018. Black Friday officially or unofficially is the start of holiday season sale. On black Friday people come early and stand in a long queue outside the shops to get the best deals.
But from the past few years, online stores have also started contributing themselves in black Friday event.
You know from 2013 it has been noticed the retail shoppers and online stores have started the Black Friday sale from Thanksgiving day, Wednesday and even from Monday. Just to increase their revenue and sale.
Both the retailers and online stores make money by offering exciting deals and making customer shopping experience joyous.
( If you want to know how to increase the online retail store sale then refer our blog, Increase the Retail sales by Simple 10 Ways. )
But one minute, do you know why it is called Black Friday?
Its known as Black Friday because on this day a large number of people do shopping which causes traffic accidents and sometimes even causes violence. The Black Friday term was originated in Philadelphia. Black Friday is not a federal holiday but its a public holiday.
The game plan for Black Friday
- Create banner images to entice customers towards Black Friday deals
- Check whether your website can handle the load or not for the biggest shopping day
- Create scarcity in the mind of the audience for instance- SALE on Black Friday is COMING SOON
- Don’t forget to include cart abandonment recovery strategies in advance
- Create promotion on Black Friday on platforms like social media and email marketing
- Make your site mobile friendly
- Check how much time your site takes to load
Tip- Nurture your customers towards black Friday shopping by telling them about the offers/discounts and reward through emails and social ads.
Cyber Monday (26 November)
Cyber Monday was celebrated on the first Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend in US.
The term Cyber Monday was invented by marketing companies to entice people for online shopping. The two people who originated this term are Ellen Davis and Scott Silverman. It was first celebrated on 28 November 2005.
The game plan for Cyber Monday
- Inform your customers about the special deals for Cyber Monday
- Ensure that your site can handle the traffic
- Cyber Monday is the biggest holiday shopping day so, don’t forget to optimize your website for mobile
- Take advantage of the social media platform
- Give your website a Cyber Monday look and feel
- Prepare your cart recovery strategy in advance
- Aware customer towards the event of Cyber Monday by writing a blog post, ebooks and by making an eye-catchy infographic
Tip-These 10 stores had the best Cyber Monday deals in 2017. Search and analyze what holiday marketing campaign these stores had used.
What you should do this month as a marketer
On events like Black Friday, Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday you can send emails but remember the email open rate on Black Friday, Thanksgiving Day, Saturday and on Sunday is very low.
So if you want to remind your customers about the deals send email on Monday and Tuesday as the email open rate is high on this days.
Cyber Monday is the biggest shopping day of the year. Therefore prepare content according to your target audience. Don’t send the same message to all your customers.
First, segment your customers based on their past behavior and then make the content based on their interest. This will surely help to engage, entice and to nurture customers towards your eCommerce business.
Green Monday (10 December)
Green Monday is a term used by online retail industry which is similar to Cyber Monday. This term was founded by eBay in 2007 to describe the best sales day of December. It occurs on the second Monday of December.
This date indicates that the shoppers have around 10 more days for Christmas shopping.
That’s a reason why online marketers like Amazon, Walmart don’t want to miss the chance to promote their product and services on this day on various social channels like Facebook ads, Instagram stories and on Pinterest pins.
The game plan for Green Monday
- Prepare your Green Monday deals in advance
- Tell your customers about the offers/discounts through social media ads and through email marketing
- Check whether your website is working properly or not before the start of the sale
Tip-On this day people want to finish their Christmas shopping. The eCommerce stores have a great chance to boost sale and revenue by offering discounts and reward to the loyal customers.
Refer infographic on Green Monday
Christmas Eve (24 December) & Christmas Day (25 December)
Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas day on occasion of Jesus birthday. It is also known as Christmas evening, Christmas vigil, a day before Christmas and night before Christmas. People go in the churches for morning prays and to light up the candles.
The Christmas Eve indicates that the online shoppers have only one day to boost their sale for the Christmas event.
Christmas Day is a national holiday on this day people decorate trees, cut cake and spend time with family and friends. People all over the world celebrate this day with joy and enthusiasm.
The game plan for Christmas Day
- Give your website a Christmas Day look and feel by changing the cover page according to Christmas
- Create content that generates scarcity in the mind of the target audience
- Reward your loyal customers by offering them special offers
- Surprise your customers by extending the sale
- Your servers should handle the site traffic
Tip-The Christmas day is a low online shopping day as people like to spend time with their family and friends instead of shopping online. Therefore, if you include holiday shopping season sale on Boxing day you have the chance to boost the conversion rates of your company.
Refer infographic on Christmas Day
Boxing Day (26 December)
Every year boxing day is celebrated on the day after Christmas day. It was first originated in the UK and is celebrated in various other countries.
It’s a public holiday on which people go out with family and friends to eat and enjoy the day. People also play a game like a football on this day.
The game plan for Boxing Day
- Use KPI to determine which social media platform brings more conversion rate for your company.
- Prepare the list of offers 2-3 weeks before the start of the sale
- Prepare content that creates scarcity in the mind of the audience
Tip-In the western countries people buy the end of season items on this date. Boxing Day provides an opportunity to the eCommerce store to boost their sale and revenue at the perfect time of year. Therefore, don’t forget to extend your holiday shopping season sale this year.
New Year’s Eve (31 December) & New Year Day (1st January)
New year eve is celebrated on the last day of the year to celebrate the beginning of new year. On this day people attend parties, eat special food, take a resolution and welcome the new year warmly with the firework and with lots of dreams in the eyes about the new year.
Refer infographic on New Year Day
The game plan for New Year Day
- Provide offers to your customers before other sites
- Send emails to your target audience to create brand awareness and loyalty
- Use social platforms that bring high conversion rates for your company
What you should do this month as a marketer
The holiday shopping season ends here. As an eCommerce marketer, you have done your level best. And now it’s time to sit and analyze whether you have achieved the target or not. And it’s time to start planning about the next year holiday shopping season.
Determine the positive and negative points of this year holiday shopping season campaign so, that you can cover up them in the next year holiday shopping campaign. And remember you have to come up with all new ideas and holiday shopping trend in the next festive season.
The Final Words
The holiday shopping season has been started and it’s the time to make money and profit. Each holiday event is special in its way.
Therefore, as a marketer, it’s your responsibility to search and analyze the holiday plan of your competitors.
In this blog, I have discussed the holidays that fall in the Q4 of the year and the ways eCommerce marketers can boost their sale this festive season.
( If you want to know how to prepare for a holiday marketing campaign then you should refer our blog, 11 ideas for Holiday Marketing Campaign. )
If you find this blog post informative please comment and share.