The best & fair policy to make the prompt selling of your product is to go for an attractive merchandising strategy.
Merchandising comprises the whole process of making the available product sold to its potential customers.
“Advertising moves people towards goods; merchandising moves goods towards people” – Morris Hite
There is a lot of difference between a brick & mortar retail merchandising & an e-commerce merchandising. Physical retail merchandising starts right from there as your customer enters the store. He is fascinated by the way products are visually merchandised in a window display. Music, spatial feel, best customer services are some of the triggering elements which help in driving more sales.
In today’s marketing environment, when everyone is switching towards online business, it is very essential to update your merchandising policies accordingly.
Now here, you will be surely thinking- “Oh! Merchandising & that too in online business, How can it be possible?”. Your answer is right here, yes like physical retail store merchandising can be done in an e-commerce business too.
Every segment of your e-commerce site enlightens the merchandising opportunities like the home page, category pages, products list, navigation menus, product pages, check out pages, shipping & delivery pages, GIFs, Videos etc.
Online merchandisers do not manage the inventory but what they do is they actually focus upon optimizing the performance of the inventory based upon every customer’s behavior.
In all about, online merchandising is just a matter of enticing customers at the right time & making them available the right product.
Let’s discover out the best ways to update your merchandising policy for your e-commerce business.
Elements of E-commerce Merchandising
The sole purpose of using merchandising is to increase more average order value(AOV) from your customers as well as driving your sales policy in such a way that it stimulates your customers to make repeat purchases in future.
So, Are you ready to raise up your customer’s online shopping experience? Let us move through the most promising elements of e-commerce merchandising-
1. Homepage Merchandising
Whenever your visitor visits your ecommerce site, the first & foremost page which he encounters is your homepage. The page which comprises all those questions which can strike the mind of any lead when he or she first time visits your site.
Enrich your homepage with following aspects like-
- Highlight the ultimate goal of your company along with About us feature
- Enclose your page with questions like- What we do, Our business partners, What our client says, our latest launchings etc.
- At the bottom line, including a section urging your customer to make a subscription for having your latest updates by signing up
- Optimize your content so that the most essential information is at the top of the page.
- In case of any events or festivity, Put a strip bar over the top border of your page showing your company’s trending offers & discounts
- If your company is also providing free shipping & delivery services then put a banner on your page as it will surely fascinate your customers towards your services.
- Last but not least, inculcate strong CTAs on your pages so that it motivates your customer to step over next part of your purchasing funnel.
2. Collection-Oriented Merchandising
What can be the best method to target various customers at a particular time? The answer is- A collection based merchandising.
The way to assist your customer with easy navigation through a wide range of products. Its best example can be clothing & Apparel brand sites where the collection is emphasized on the basis of different aspects like age group, seasons etc
To bring your ecommerce collection based merchandising in customer’s spotlight, attach impressive images so that customer could get clear information about which collection indicates which purpose.
Glorify each collective sections with sight seeking readable texts like “Summer Collections Winter Collections, Female section, Men’s section etc”.
Let your customers know what exclusive feature is instilled in your every collection. Proper protocol is very much required to make an accessible entry of your customers.
3. Optical Merchandising for Product Pages
Product pages are the life breath element of your e-commerce website. This is the only place where your buyer decides either to choose “Add to Cart” or not. The exact time to persuade your ultimate buyers to make their final purchases.
Many constituents of your product pages help your prospects to make proper comparisons of the products like price specification, product description, ratings, purchase options etc.
- If you have ever seen the product visualization method of Amazon or Flipkart, you have come through this aspect that they show their product from many angles. Give your customer this facility that they can inspect out any product from each & every angle & then decide to buy.
- Contrive your pages with product videos & demos. This will enable your customers to know how to use any product & what benefits they can avail from that product.
- Allow your customers to switch to different colors while viewing any product. Also, give them options like zoom-in, zoom-out, swipe so that it shows its essence of being user-friendly.
- Convince your customers with the different variety of the same product. Showcase your upselling & cross-selling facilities.
- Implicit 4Ps of merchandising on your product pages like persuasion, population, presentation, post-cart.
4. Category- Based Merchandising
When there is a need to show a related or discrete group of products to your customers, category-based merchandising is the best.
Category-based merchandising is the technique of ranking up your products at category & sub-category level on the basis of a factor or essential which deliberately affects the purchasing decision of your customer.
Serve your customer with different filters like a brand, size, new releases, shipping method on category pages so that it gives them a deeper exploration of their product choices. You can opt for CAMA (Catalogue & Merchandising Architecture) which provides befitting filters & facet options for each category.
Today, every ecommerce company is dealing in many products, therefore it is necessary to have multi-categories on your product pages.
Follow an e-commerce conventional strategy to display categories of your products.
- Product image
- Product name ( clicking on which will take your customer to the detail page of that product)
- Price Star ratings
- Compare option
Guide your team members to make time to time audit of your category pages to understand your customer’s purchasing behavior. Optimize your search engine to reveal every type of filters & facets. As it sometimes happens, that if your filter browser doesn’t give exact results, prospects move to search engines.
Ways to update your strategy to avail the best use of merchandising
Merchandising is not confined to a single form but it incorporates a variety of units. Ranging from inventory & pricing till delivery & many more. But at every phase, the sole most objective is to drive conversions only.
“The more you engage with customers the clearer things become and the easier it is to determine what you should be doing”- John Russell
Modernize your ecommerce merchandising schemes as per increasing competition. Leverage technical aid of your site to capture the buying patterns of your customer. This can be done only when you admit the best strategies to represent your brand exceptionally.
a) Optimize your site to be accessible on any device
As per statista.com, an average cost per click for Google AdWords through the mobile network amounted to 0.73 US dollars. Provide your shoppers a mobile-friendly shopping experience so that they become assured that whenever they want to use it they can use it from any device.
- Introduce a responsive website, which includes the same content & information as on your ecommerce website but only optimizes its display as per accessibility of the given device.
- Avoid use of flash on your site. Flash is a technology of Adobe, mainly used to show animation on your web pages. Due to this element, a page takes a lot of time in loading & it is neither accessible on mobiles too.
- Eliminate autocorrect forms on your site, as it creates a long process for users to enter their information in inquiry forms. Compress your site images as non-compressed image takes a lot of time in loading which hinders the visibility of mobile users.
b) Use product recommendation tools
While doing online shopping through Amazon, you might have noticed that they often enforce you to buy a combo of products rather than buying a single product. Like, if you are purchasing a mobile, they will offer you to also have a look over mobile cover, screen protector etc.
How come they use to make this plan successful? All this is possible by using product recommendation tool. This tool is an artificial intelligence technology that usually predicts & shows those products to the customers which they would like to buy.
Major E-commerce giants like eBay, Amazon, Alibaba make the best use of recommendation algorithms in order to prominently serve the customer needs. About 38% of Amazon.com’s revenue is generated by recommendation tools only.
These recommendation tools act as a data filtering tool which helps the buyers in choosing not only trusted products but also the related ones. Upselling & cross-selling are easily possible by suggesting products to the customers based on those which they have already added in their cart & those which they are browsing on the site.
c) Display your products social viability
It is a genuine truth that people usually prefer those products which have gained a positive response from other users. More than 85% of consumers check out reviews & ratings of a particular product online before making its purchase.
Put such requests on your product pages urging the satisfied customers to share that product among their social networks by underlying social media buttons on your pages like Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest.
Another tactic to grow your ecommerce community scale & sales is to involve the reviews of celebrities who have an identity of socialism too.
d) Stimulate instinct buying with digital stickers
Digital stickers are used in individual search results to visually foreground something special feature about any given product like-
- Best-seller status
- Out of stock
- Limited Availability
- Top-rated product
- Free shipping
These digital stickers are also known as ribbon overlays. They also highlight when product videos are available. This facilitates the customers to test the tangibility of the product. It enhances your conversion rates which in turn increase the revenue of your ecommerce business.
e) Incur data to make an optimal merchandising decision
Your website analytics tools & software collects vital information about your customers that when they are coming to your website & deep penetration of what actually they are doing on your site. More than half of the retailers use data to design a superior merchandising plan for their ecommerce business.
Here are also some of the tools which you can deploy into your e-commerce site to examine each & every action of your customers.
It is a tool which mainly tracks the behavior of the customers as when they visit your site. This helps you in understanding your buyers buying patterns & accordingly make you ready for future plans. This comprises :
- A complete video recording of your customer activities. On which part of your page he is clicking more? or where he stood for a more time?
- Another thing is Heatmap. They are the perfect tool to track your customer’s engagement on your website as well. Ranging from every click, scroll, tap to mouse movements, you can examine each & every move of your customer in real-time. Despite charts & tables, they visually present data through colors.
- Polls & surveys are the intrinsic part of the marketing campaign of any ecommerce website. They ask your customers to give their valuable feedback about the products & services. It also gives you an opportunity to experience greater interaction with them.
ii) A/B Testing
A/B testing or split testing is the most viable tool of your ecommerce website to enhance your sales metrics.
It is a method of ascertaining which layout, design or content is more thriving with your site visitors. It helps to test the optimality of any page which may affect your customers buying Behavior. Examine two different layouts for the same web pages to ensure which layout generates more sales.
f) Inculcate a Live Chat feature to support the customers
Engross your customer’s interest in your e-commerce website by infusing a Live Chat support feature.
As per a recent survey, around 75% of customers said that they preferred live chat over email, social media & phone. So, what can be the reason behind it after all emails, social media are also playing a major role in customer involvement?
This is because of the time factor which these mediums forever lack. Sometimes it happens that when a customer doesn’t find their desired product, they find it better to switch to another website rather than writing an email or seeing social reviews.
In this case, Live chat support feature is the best alternative. You might have seen on many sites popups like “Chat with us or Chat now”. This all for removing the customer’s queries & doubts. Whenever any customer clicks on the chat window, Live chat agents track which site he is browsing & give him instant answers. These agents can handle multiple customers at a single time.
g) Enhance your search function
About 10 to 20% of customers directly move to search bars for getting their most specific product. There are many customers who don’t like to switch pages, therefore, they use search bars for this.
Hence, pick up this nerve of your customers & align your search bars to include top selling products. This will surely bring a massive increase in your ecommerce conversion rates.
Judge the shopping experience of your site by putting yourself in your customer’s shoe. Explore what best-merchandising services your company may create for customers from homepage to checkout page & which also remains viable with your brand quality.
Update your ecommerce merchandising strategies as per changing business environment. Since customer engagement is the major aspect of this competitive era, therefore discover your customer’s buying behavior. Use the latest technologies to track your customer activities & change your outdated policies. In the end, all that I want to say is – Gift your customers a worth remembering shopping experience.
How you have planned your merchandising strategies? Share with us now!!