Getting started with something encouraging and educative?
Why not start a blog?
Well, it is rightfully said by British playwright and television writer-Brian Clark.
Blog writing is not everybody’s cup of coffee but still, it is not so difficult either.
From starting with research to pushing the story from a scratch. A blog can be a masterpiece with the seasoning of research, interest and time.
Your blogs should be plainly people centric than touching the points on business aspect and then wrapping up.
So, before you stack with some step by step instructions on how to start a blog? I need to clarify with some tit-bits on how to go about when you have a blog to write in front of you…
#1. Choose a niche to write a blog
Choosing right niche based on your interest is very important and here is few best niche for blogging.
Top 10 most popular blog categories in 2018 to start a blog
- Beginners Guide
- Frequently asked questions.
- People/Client feature stories
- Product reviews
- Gifts and memes
- Productive tips
- Funny stories and many more…
Now, that you have made up your mind for the appropriate topic for blog writing, pick the platform which you would be using and you think that will bring the best result of your words…
You may find your best answer in for this, in our next edition for- how to write a blog post?
But, as a genuine advice to you that WordPress is the supreme above all.
Once you have decided to start with WordPress, next you have to decide either to go with a self-hosted platform or cloud-based solution. Actually, we can setup WordPress either on any hosting platform or via services like WordPress.com, wpengine.com etc.
I suppose you want to setup self-hosted WordPress on your hosting platform. Before you go ahead you need few things inline:
- A domain name idea (this will be your name for a blog. Eg: www.testblog.com)
- A web hosting account (this is where your WordPress files stay on the internet)
Giving a bigger bite!
#2. Choose a domain name
What is the domain name and how to get a domain name to start a blog?
Domain name is the address of your website which your customers/clients will type to search you. For instance, testdomain.com.You can get domains from:
#3. Purchase web hosting.
What is web hosting and how to get best web hosting start a blog?
A Web host is a machine that hosts your WordPress files remotely. You can purchase web hosting from:
When you’ve picked your niche and got domain name and hosting let start WordPress setup.
#4. How to install WordPress?
There are two ways to install WordPress and start a blog with ease-
- Through FTP (this is a bit technical and tough)
- Through Cpanel(if you are using cpanel) using softaculous (this is easy and convenient for starters)
I. Installation through FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
- WordPress requires an installed MySQL database.
- Download and save the latest version of WordPress from the WordPress page to your computer.
- Double-click the ZIP file downloaded to open to choose to Extract all files.
- A pop up will come up for extracting the file.
- Now, enter a relevant name for your folder for proper usage.
- Upload the folder to the root of workspace via FTP.
- Now, that the folder has been uploaded, you will have to ensure the domain to this folder.
- Open a browser and access your domain.
- If the config file is created successfully, you will be informed of the information you need to complete the setup. There you will get a welcome from WordPress. Hit on ‘Let’s Go’ and proceed.
- Fill out the database information where required in a form which asks database name, username, password, database host, and table prefix.
- After filling up the form, click on submit.
- After, you hit on submit- it will be informed that WordPress is ready to get installed. Click on the ‘run the install’ button to continue.
- Now, you will be prompted to enter a site title, username, password, and email address. When entering these details, click on install WordPress.
- Now, you have got your WordPress installed after entering your username and password for your reference.
- WordPress has now been installed successfully and you may now click the Login button to begin setup of your WordPress.
If you are still having trouble? No, issues, we’re happy to help you. Get WordPress Support!
II. Installation through Softaculous
- Login to your CPanel (if you are facing any issues regarding this, feel free to contact your host provider)
- Scroll down to software section, click on to ‘softaculous app installer’ in order to open the program.
- Search for ‘Softaculous’, then go for ‘WordPress’. Click on the install button.
- Now, fill out the 3 sections within ‘software setup’.
- Fill out the ‘site setting’ of the section.
Here you will include:
- Site name: Give the website a name.
- Site description: Write a brief description or shorter subtitles for your website.
- Enabled multi-site: Only enable multisite if you know that it needs it.
- Fill in the admin account section.
Here, you have to find:
- Username for Admin: Change it to something meaningful and to you and other admin.
- Admin password: Create a secure password to help keep your installation from being compromised.
- Admin email: This will be the login of the admin through which people would contact.
- Select your language from the drop-down language bar.
- Click the plus sign by ‘advanced options’ and check the box to limit login attempt.
- Change the database name.
- Change the prefix.
- Unless you would prefer to do this manually through the WordPress Admin area or by using FTP.
- Change the ‘theme’ designed that you want for your WordPress website.
- Final step-Install.
#5. How to install the theme in WordPress?
After logging in to WordPress account:
- Go to Appearance-> theme.
- Once you have come up to theme page, click on the Add New button.
- This will open up to a new page with the subheading like featured, popular, latest WordPress themes. You can find a specific theme or search for themes with specific features.
- Based upon your finding you will get your relevant searches.
- When you will a relevant WordPress blog theme according to your criteria, you just take your mouse on top of the thumbnail. This will show the install button, preview button and details button.
- Go ahead and click on the install button.
- After, successful installation you receive a message with an activation link and live preview.
- Just, install your WordPress blog theme and start a blog with ease.
#6. How to install plugins in WordPress?
To install plugins in WordPress, there are three ways. Here are they-
I. Installing plugin from WordPress directory:
This is one of the basic and simplest ways for installing plugins which are directed from the directory. Method:
- In the sidebar, go to Plugins.
- At the top of the screen, click Add New.
- Enter the name of the plugin you’re looking for.
- Click on the plugin you’d like to install.
- In the pop-up window, review the details.
- Click Install Now.
- When the installation completes, click Activate.
II. Uploading a plugin from .zip file:
This is managed by installing plugins purchased from a marketplace or developer’s site. Method:
- In the sidebar, go to Plugins.
- At the top of the screen, click Add New.
- At the top of the screen, click Upload Plugin.
- On the Upload Plugin screen, you have two options:
- Click Browse. Find and select the plugin .zip file.
- Drag and drop the .zip file onto the Upload Plugin screen.
- When the installation completes, click Activate.
III. Installing from FTP:
You may also install WordPress plugin through FTP method. But, it is little complicated. Method:
- Open the plugin .zip file.
- Extract the included plugin folder to a location on your computer.
- Using FTP, connect to your web server.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation.
- Upload the plugin folder from your computer to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- In WordPress, go to Plugins in the sidebar.
- The just-uploaded plugin should appear in the list. Click Activate beneath its name.
#7. How to create a menu in WordPress?
To start a blog:
- Log in to the WordPress Dashboard.
- From the ‘Appearance’ menu on the left-hand side of the Dashboard, select the ‘Menus’ option to bring up the Menu Editor.
- Select Create a new menu at the top of the page.
- Enter a name for your new menu in the Menu Name box.
- Click the Create Menu button.
#8. How to add a widget to the sidebar?
Firstly, you need to confirm that widget you want to have should be compatible with your theme. Method:
- Go to Appearance > Customize in the WordPress Administration Screens.
- Click the Widget menu in the Theme Customizer to access the Widget Customize Screen.
- Tap the down arrow of Widget Area to list the already registered Widgets.
- Click Add a Widget button at the bottom of the sidebar. It shows the list of available widgets.
- Tap a widget you want to add. The widgets should be added in the sidebar.
- Preview your site and you should see the content from your new Widget.
- To arrange the Widgets within the Sidebar, drag and drop the widgets in the order you want or click Reorder link and click up arrow and down allow of each widget and click Done after the arrange operation.
- Customize the Widget features, click the down arrow in the right to expand the Widget’s interface.
- To remove the widget, click Remove from Widget’s interface in above step.
#9. How to create a user for WordPress?
To start a blog, you need to have multiple users for different roles and capabilities. So, WordPress comes to your rescue with this built-in management.
I. To add a new user to your WordPress site, simply click on Users » Add New and fill out the form.
II. There you would get options like-username, email, first name, last name, website, password (required), repeat password (required).
III. After that, you are asked to specify the role of the user.
IV. Now, hit the add new user button.
#10. What are essential security measures to take in WordPress?
This is important to prevent your blog from getting hacked or getting into malicious information. This can create serious damage to the business revenue and reputation of your blog if not handled properly. To install something safe you need to take backup and also setup of security plugin.
- Backups allow you to quickly restore your WordPress site in case something bad happens to your site/blog.
- We recommend storing it on a cloud service like Amazon, Dropbox, or private clouds.
- Based on how frequently, you update the ideal setting might be either once a day or real-time backups.
- After backups, you need to do is set up an auditing and monitoring system that keeps track of everything that happens on your website.
- This includes file integrity monitoring, failed login attempts, malware scanning, etc.
#11. How to create and format your first blog?
At the beginning, to start a blog, you would be little tensed that it is your first post. Yet don’t you worry. If you have ever worked on Microsoft word, it would be simple. Here, you will find two types of editors.
After going to posts > Add new, you would get your first blog page. On the dashboard above, you would find options like:
- Numbered lists
- Adding links
- Adding images
You may clearly format your text with the options are given above so to give weight to your content. To add more to this, you may also include B-quote, Lists and Adding Media.
- B-quote: This tool you can use to quote someone’s saying and you need it to stand out.
- Lists: Bullets and numbering look soothing to reader’s eyes as it shows a simplified format. They help to divide large chunks of content into smaller bits.
- Add Media: Through this, you may add images and video to enrich your content.
In a nutshell:
Well, time and again we have many things which crop in our mind. Yet, we lag to project our thoughts to the right audience through the right medium.
Consequently, if you are starting off for the first time, then this can an issue to where you can showcase your mindful reflection. Nevertheless, don’t you worry, there is WordPress with which you can simply start a blog. And, all it is free of cost.
What else do you want…
To start a blog, I have posted you on everything above, so what are you waiting for?
Hence, if you still need help, I am there to help you and guide you to project your thoughts through a streamlined process.
Was this guide helpful and able to answer your expectation? Let me know your kind feedback in the comment below.
Thanks for reading. 🙂